Was Tanimoto's stepmom innocent?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
Berrick

Posted September 21 2018 - 02:43 PM

Another thread from a poster from Reddit:

"Having finished the manga today, I was quite disappointed nothing was paid attention to Hermit's step mother and the poisoning since the backstory flashes implied she might be innocent and that Hermit would have a story arc devoted to resolving family issues.

Instead what we got was a feeling of unfinished agendas much like Zuko (from Avatar: The Last Airbender) going on a quest for to search for his mom but the series ending before that could happen.

So I am wondering if there has been Gaidens or other material showing this? The flashback really seemed like his step mommy did not do the crime!"

Delirium Trigger

Posted September 27 2018 - 02:32 AM

I sometimes wondered if she was innocent too. Especially when you consider Ogata coincidentally being around to save the young Natsu and nudge him into the world of martial arts. It could've been some long-term plot since Natsu is an incredibly talented person, not just as a martial artist. He's fully capable of owning and managing his conglomerate whilst maintaining perfect grades, be able to effectively tutor others, train extensively, be the president of drama club, effortlessly handle the hundreds of fangirls, deal with the destructive Honoka (who forced him to pick up cooking, cleaning, and her daily commands whenever he loses a game of othello), maintain his secret identity, and due to his distrust of doctors, he likely takes care of his own injuries, and do so well enough to still be the handsome prince of Koryo High School. And there's even more things he does that I haven't mentioned. That's like inhuman talent for an 18 year old. 

Though the issue with his step-other's innocence is that even if she didn't poison his adoptive father, it doesn't change the fact that Kaede's treatment was neglected, unless that was also planned.

Nacchi

Posted September 27 2018 - 07:34 AM

The police must have ordered an authopsy. The poison the found might have been something only someone with a medical license can get their hands on, and there probably were other traces that pointed towards Tanimoto's stepmother. Ad to that that she gave Kaede a fake treatment and it becomes extremely likely that she actually murdered her husband. Who knows, maybe she would have offed Natsu as well at some later point as soon as there was to chance to make it look like a horrible tragedy or an accident. Getting rid of an old man and a sick child is easier than killing a healthy child.

If Ogata had planned everything to get Natsu into martial art he would have taken him as his disciple right away and not told him to "Go and find someone who trains you". There was no guarantee that the would would train under a good master and not some regular martial arts teacher. As far as I remember he had not joined Yami yet at that point, so he could not send Natsu to one of the other Yami masters if he didn't want to train him himself for some reason.

Instead of his of reunion with his stepmoth I'd rather find out who Natsu's real parents were and how he ended up in an orphanage in the first place. Were there no other relatives who could have taken care of him?

Ogata

Posted September 27 2018 - 05:29 PM

@Delirium Trigger

I believe Ogatas appearance really was a coincidence. In his debut and later in the story, we find that he has some morals and isn't in to over complicated plots that are unrelated to martial arts.

Delirium Trigger

Posted September 28 2018 - 01:42 AM

I wasn't saying that Ogata planned it, but more so may have been a part of it. But I believe she was the one who did it, anyways. Just throwing out random ideas to think about. Though I do wonder about his real parents.

Edited by Delirium Trigger, September 28 2018 - 01:43 AM.

Author

Rate This

- - - - -

Share This