Other Martial Arts Manga

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic
Saiga

Posted August 28 2013 - 03:24 PM

It's been like two years since part 1 finished, I think. There's almost no chance the other part is ever being made and it's so sad. :/

As for Asu no Yoichi the plot is very light, but I still found it enjoyable despite that. It does pick up towards the very end though.

Kaio-ken

Posted September 05 2013 - 03:04 PM

As for Asu no Yoichi the plot is very light, but I still found it enjoyable despite that. It does pick up towards the very end though.

Just finished Asu no Yoichi yeah it was alright abit of a change to the stuff I've been reading lately. Should thank Red Duel for recommending it as well way back in November last year. I get round to everything eventually! Speaking of Samurai's does anyone read Samurai Usagi? Been quite enjoying the fights in that since they got their new weapons.

Red Duel

Posted September 06 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just finished Asu no Yoichi yeah it was alright abit of a change to the stuff I've been reading lately. Should thank Red Duel for recommending it as well way back in November last year. I get round to everything eventually! Speaking of Samurai's does anyone read Samurai Usagi? Been quite enjoying the fights in that since they got their new weapons.

Your welcome and no I never heard of Samurai Usagi but I will take a look.

Saiga

Posted October 12 2013 - 11:53 PM

I just got done with Angel Densetsu. It's only 84 chapters long, and the art honestly isn't that good, but it's probably the best manga I've ever read.

Kaio-ken

Posted October 17 2013 - 11:00 AM

I just got done with Angel Densetsu. It's only 84 chapters long, and the art honestly isn't that good, but it's probably the best manga I've ever read.

Best manga you've read is quite the accolade, just read it myself after reading your post and really enjoyed it.

Saiga

Posted October 17 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yeah. I feel really confident with calling it that too.

Kaio-ken

Posted October 31 2013 - 12:09 PM

I've now started reading Gamaran, it's very good so far and also enjoying the frequent updates of Minoru by deadbeat scans who are pretty consistently churning out two or three chapters a week, which is great!

Saiga

Posted November 01 2013 - 10:17 AM

I added The Breaker+New Waves to my backlog. Hope I enjoy it once I get to it.

Rslick96

Posted November 26 2013 - 10:15 PM

I added The Breaker+New Waves to my backlog. Hope I enjoy it once I get to it.

You haven't read the Breaker! Definitely give it a read it's like an alternate Veritas.

Kaio-ken

Posted December 08 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hmm Quote doesn't seem to be working. I think I preferred Veritas to Breaker but of course what Breaker has going for it is that it's still going.

Not really a martial arts manwa (yet) but has anyone been reading The Gamer? It's got me hooked!

Matsu

Posted January 25 2017 - 05:02 AM

Is this thread still active?

The few magas (Jap-Kor-Chi productions) I have enjoyed lately are:

Kengan Ashura (more gore than martial arts)

Gosu (comedy, historical, fantasy martial arts, less nakama-stuff)

Yongbi (Gosu preguel, more serious)

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru (very realistic, more so than Ippo)

Hajime no Ippo (classic boxing, but many aspects very comparable to HSDK)

Blood and Steel (historical, weapons, awesome art)

Honorable Baek Dong Soo (has potential, but more historical than martial arts)

Vagabond (new for me, shows promise)

Breaker was awesome fighting manga, too bad the creators "did the Matsuena" and decided to move to another story before finishing the whole saga.

citizen_lion

Posted February 09 2017 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll begin to read some of the more realistic / historical series then. The fantasy manga genre got a bit too far with the powercreep and lack of internal consistency lately.

Matsu

Posted April 19 2017 - 07:33 AM

Thanks citizen_lion, I hope you like these. Please let us know what you think. I'm interested in other good recommendations.

I have to say, I enjoy reading Gosu the most. It has good humor, story telling and art. Even tho I only get one episode per week, the quality is constantly good. On the other hand, I am most impressed with Vagabond. It goes deep in to the psychology of these historical samurais. It even demonstrates in one arc how miserable absolute hunger can be. Very well made grown up manga. The sad thing is that it has very irregular updates. Maybe it is on hiatus, which is annoying, because the main story is almost over.

Author

Rate This

- - - - -

Share This